As a fab shop, do you have lots of scrap left over from your welding and plasma cutting? These best self dumping hoppers have made our life easier in our fab shop.
Let me explain, a self dumping hopper is a forklift attachment that is useful for any commercial and industrial work site dealing with heavy waste materials. A self dumping hopper has built-in fork pockets that allow forklift operators to easily slide under to transport it. These hoppers are properly balanced, so that they roll forward when dumping their contents and return to the upright position once the load is empty.
The dump hopper is used in a variety of industries such as construction, warehousing, fab shops, recycling and lumber processing to store and relocate heavy loads with a fork truck. There are different types of self dumping hoppers which come in multiple sizes, capacities, colors and build materials (steel or plastic). On this page you can find useful information and tips about forklift hoppers.
- Automatic bumper release dumps when it contacts the side of the dumpster
- Returns to upright and locked position automatically
- Full-length fork tube provide a solid base
- Safety restraint secures the hopper to the fork truck
- Self-dumping steel hopper for storing and moving dry bulk materials
- Capacity of 4,000 lb. and 1 cubic yd.
- Bumper release for automatic dumping when bumper contacts side of dumpster
- Cable for manual release from the seat of the forklift truck
- Vestil self-dumping hoppers facilitate compliance with OSHA General Industry rule 29 CFR 1910.178(m)(5)(iii) by allowing lift truck operators to remain at the controls of their truck throughout the dumping process.
- Steel dumping hopper for storing and moving refuse or dry bulk materials
- Capacity of 2,000 lb. and 1 cubic yd.
- Cable for manual release from the seat of the forklift truck
- Safety chain for securing to forklift truck carriage
- Blue powder-coat finish for more durability than paint
- For wet or dry use.
- Ships fully assembled.
- Made of 10 gauge steel.
- Positive locking latch prevents accidental dumping.
- 2" formed top lips increase rigidity and eliminates sharp edges.
- Hoppers Are Perfectly Balanced To Roll Forward When Loaded, Dump Completely And Automatically Return To Upright, Locked Position Ready For Reloading
- Continuous welding helps to prevent dripping of wet materials
- Formed smooth edge around top and pouring lip for safety and strength
- Extended sides prevent side-wise scattering of material
- Strong, easy-to-operate latching mechanism
- 7 GA SELF DUMPING HOPPER AND STACKABLE HOPPER
- Big labor savers
- All welded construction
- Built tough and durable
- Heavy duty rocker stops
- LARGE VOLUME LOW PROFILE DUMPERS
- Wide body design and convenient working height of 46" makes this unit a natural for handling large long bulky items. FOB Shipping Point.
Types of self dumping hoppers
There are many types of self dumping hopper variants:
Standard Hopper Classic hopper with forklift tubes for collecting, transporting and dumping large and bulky materials.
Hopper with Hinged Lid A hopper with a heavy-duty polyethylene lid which can be opened and closed. This helps to control possible odors and secures contents. These ‘recycle hoppers’ are perfect for source separation of waste materials, such as paper, cardboard, plastic, wood and scrap metals. A lid can also help to keep debris out of sight. It is also possible to lock the lid with a padlock if needed.
Hopper with Casters Transform a standard hopper into a portable hopper. Because this mobile dump hopper can be moved around the plant or facility without the need of a forklift. The casters which are installed can be made of steel, plastic or rubber. For heavy loads it is important to use heavy-duty casters. Two casters swivel and two are rigid for easy manual maneuvering around the facility.
Low Profile Hopper A low profile self dumping hopper is ideal when the height of a standard hopper is too high or when there are areas with height restrictions.
Open Side Hopper This hopper is designed for handling materials of all lengths because the container has open sides. Ideal for transporting pipes, sheet material and lumber.
Dewatering Hopper The container is perforated so any liquids will flow away of the collected materials. Another variant of a dewatering self dump hopper is the standard hopper with drain plug to allow drainage of liquids.
Dross Hopper Specially designed for collecting and transporting hot materials with the forklift. The forklift hopper can handle hot materials and the large perforated openings allow the material to cool, which reduces the heat inside the dumper.
Stackable Hopper Stackable hoppers are able to be placed on top of each other. This save space and it is recommended to not stack more than 3 high. Most of the time, it is the plastic hoppers that are stackable.
Self Dumping Hopper Materials
Hoppers are most often made of two main materials: Steel and Plastic. Each has type has a specific purpose. What is the difference between a steel hopper and a plastic hopper?
- Very durable construction
- Carry heavier loads
- More stability
- Powder coated finishes helps the steel to resist scratches, chipping and rusting
- Can handle hotter materials
Plastic or Polyethylene Hoppers
- Quieter in use
- Lighter and easier to maneuver
- Rugged and functional
- Anti-rusting, dent resistant
The material your hopper is made from will make a difference in what you can put in your hopper If your are mostly dealing with things like wood and paper materials, then a plastic hopper would probably suffice. However, you will be doing lots of hot metals, sharp objects, or heavy materials, then a steel made hopper will last longer.
Load Capacity of Self Dumping Hoppers
Hoppers are available in many different sizes and capacities. Small hoppers are mostly for light work, but large hoppers cover heavy duty work which requires an appropriate sized forklift which can handle heavy loads. These heavy and super duty hoppers are designed for transporting and dumping heavy scrap and waste materials, such as glass, metal and stones.
- Light duty hopper capacity: Loads up to 2,000 lbs
- Medium duty hopper capacity: Loads up to 4,000 lbs
- Heavy duty hopper capacity: Loads up to 6,000 lbs
- Super duty hopper capacity: 6,000+ lbs
Safety Tips and How to Work With a Self Dumping Hopper
INSPECTING THE HOPPER Make sure to check the latch assembly and other components periodically for damage or wear and tear. Ensure that the latch spring, as well as the drum and base, are in good working condition. Look for areas of rust around the hinge points.
SECURING THE HOPPER Make sure the latch holder is locked position at all times, except when dumping. Always wrap and secure the safety chain around the forklift mast to ensure that the hopper does not fall off the forklift while you’re transporting and dumping the load.
PICKING UP THE HOPPER Insert the forks into the opening of the base, spreading the forks as far as possible. Important, make sure the forks do not extend beyond the front of the base.
TRANSPORTING THE HOPPER Pick up the forks and tilt the mast back a bit to prevent the load from slipping forward. Transport only one hopper at a time and at the minimum practical height and speed.
DUMPING THE HOPPER Keep the mast tilted back, unlock the latch holder and raise forks to the desired dumping position. Keep clear of the hopper and release the handle while tilting the mast slightly forward.
RE-LATCHING THE HOPPER Always make sure to re-latch the hopper by tilting the mast back and sliding the latch holder back into position.
DO NOT OVERLOAD THE HOPPER My team is always warned of this. Make sure that the loaded weight of the hopper does not exceed the capacity of the forklift. Also make sure that no material hangs over the sides as that makes for trouble when transporting or dumping and will prevent the hopper discharging its load freely.
Conclusion on the Best Self Dumping Hoppers
If you have lots of scrap metal that needs to be moved around a Self Dumping Hopper is a life saver. While it may seem expensive at first, it will more than pay for itself in safety, convenience and time savings. All of those are a big win for my fab shop.